"The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits." G.K. Chesterton

Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Home Story

An oldie I 've found while going through some of my documents:

"I had never complained about my tree. It was an old oak with heavy branches reaching out far from the massive trunk. Having lived in its shelter all my life, I couldn't imagine anything better. Well, maybe an even bigger oak.

I will never forget the day when I wandered far away from my tree in search of blueberries. I just love blueberries. Being hunched over, I didn't notice the storm approaching till it was too late. The rain started dripping. Having realized that I'll never reach my oak in time, I panicked. It was at that moment when I noticed that house at the edge of the wood. It was already pouring by the time I reached it panting and almost completely soaked. It looked quite gloomy, and upon entering it I realized that if not for the storm I would have never dared to even come close to that stark wooden ruin, barely visible from behind the weeds which had grown around it. Yes, I definitely had an uneasy feeling as I crossed the threshold.

It was quite damp and cool inside the main hall. The walls were almost entirely covered with mould. The storm was terrible, and raged all night. In the morning though, aside from being tired from sleep depravation I was all right. This strange house had sheltered me. I guess it wasn't so horrible after all. Before leaving, I had a look at its backyard, or at least where one had once been. It was a thicket of weeds.

It wasn't till I finally got home, into the familiar shade of my tree, that I allowed myself a loud sigh of relief. It had been the first time I spent a night away from my oak. I spent the rest of the week reminiscing that frightening, yet exciting night.

Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to visit the house. I knew that to be silly since I had all the shelter I needed under my tree. During that second visit I inspected all the rooms and nooks, and was surprised to find many interesting spots. On that day, looking at the setting sun through the wide bay window in the hall the idea that changed my life came to me. I remember the exact moment. I was leaning against the window frame hypnotized by the beauty of the setting sun. I turned round. The wall due to the dampness had flakes of paint coming off it, and there among that messy sight was my shadow. I decided to renovate the house.

Believe me, it wasn't easy. Actually it took years. I'm especially proud of the garden and the wonderful flowers blooming there every spring. I still visit my tree every now and then, but cannot imagine any life other than here, at home."

17th May 2004

No comments: